We offer choristerships to boys, girls, and young people between the ages of 8 – 18 (school years 3-13). There are two informal audition days for young people during the year; one after Easter (usually in May or June) and another in October. Admission to the choir is through an informal audition with the Director of Music.
There are many benefits for those who take up a choristership at St Augustine’s and the valuable skills they learn set them up for whatever field they choose later in life. The benefits include:
- A quality, free music education that includes singing tuition and keyboard skills
- The opportunity to work together with other choristers and experienced adult singers to a high level
- Making new friends and growing in confidence
- Development of important life skills, such as time keeping and self-discipline
- The opportunity to sing a wide variety of different music and experience part of a musical tradition that many young people around the world participate in
Children and young people who have a passion for singing and music are encouraged to come along to an audition day and see what the choristerships are all about. All we are looking for are children who show a real interest in singing – we will teach them everything else they need to know!
Choristers take part in the Royal School of Church Music’s ‘Voice for Life’ scheme and can complete their Bronze, Silver and Gold awards if they choose to do so. Choristers earn a small amount of pocket money for their hard work and commitment.
If your child is interested in becoming a chorister, or if you would like to know more, please contact the Director of Music. Enquiries are welcome at any time (you do not need to wait for an audition day). You can express your interest by filling out the form on our enquiry page.